Sunday, May 8, 2011

Tops #2 and 3

The second and third tops I made were from the same pattern, a kimono ruched-side tee that I made up based on the back piece of Butterick 5196. I liked the side-ruched T from Motherhood Maternity, but it costs about $25. I can't pay that for a T-shirt, even if it is a really big T-shirt. They do have a promotion to buy one and get one half off, but still...

I made my two for $4 and about two hours of work each. It was super easy to sew, and I really liked the way the first one turned out. I got the fabric (again) on clearance for $3 last summer. It's an extremely stretchy unknown jersey, probably cotton and/or rayon as well as spandex. I think it's cute now, but will be cuter as my tummy gets bigger.

I made the second with a few modifications because the fabric was less stretchy: I widened the bust and lengthened the back. I also narrowed the neck, since I was having a problem with bra straps showing. It didn't really work. Hm.
This fabric is a cotton (I think) jersey that I got five yards of for $5 at Wal-Mart last fall. It is very drapey where the other top was clingy, and I don't think I like it as much because of that. I may add some embellishments or something.

There you have it! I made three tops in three weeks. For about $8.50 total, may I add. Yay, me.

No comments:

Post a Comment