Wednesday, June 16, 2010

Going Crazy

Yesterday, I thought I was going crazy.

I kept seeing flies in the house (remember those maggots? Guess we didn't get them all...). That wasn't the crazy part. They were slow and very easy to kill. Also, they were only by the back door, staring at the pretty light of the outdoors.

No, the crazy part was, after killing a couple, I couldn't find the flyswatter. There was another fly, and I wanted to render it dead, but the flyswatter was not where it goes. That was weird. I remembered getting it down from the top of the cabinet, taking it out of its plastic bag, killing the flies, and then putting away the swatter before dealing with the dead flies. I knew I must have at least put it in its bag, because it wasn't on the kitchen floor where I left it.

But it wasn't on top of the cabinet. I got out a chair to look. Nope. Definitely not there. I looked next to the trash can. Not there. I looked IN the trash can. Nope. I tried in the cabinet, and over by the back door, and all the various crevices in the living room and kitchen. Nope, nope, nope.

Where on EARTH did I put that thing?! And why couldn't I remember? Was I losing my mind?

So I gave up. I didn't know where else to look, and I figured I could do something more productive, or at least more interesting, with my time.

When Anthony got home, I told him about my adventure with the flyswatter. We both started looking. We looked everywhere (except Hazel's room, because she was sleeping when it happened. I'd like to think I'd remember going in her room...). Still no swatter. We decided to just leave it be, because we needed to go shopping before Hazel's bedtime.

What was HAPPENING to me? Was I really that scatterbrained?

Later that evening, after the baby was sleeping, Anthony tried looking on top of the cabinet again. Instead of just standing on the chair, he climbed on the counter catti-corner to the cabinet and actually got his head above it.

He said, "Denise, I found the flyswatter." (Or something like that, it's not like I have a stenographer recording everything that happens around here, okay?)

When this apartment was built, someone decided it would be a good idea to place a cabinet a couple of inches away from the wall. They thought, "hm, better wall that in on the front, so it looks better." However, they also thought it would be a great idea to leave a gap on the top of the cabinet.


Well, frankly, I don't agree. Not at all.

We still haven't quite decided how to try to get it out of the pit. The only thing we've thought of involves yarn and the hook part of a plastic clothes hanger. Any ideas?

**********************

If you came here hoping to read about Hazel, don't go away!

Today I clipped her nails for the very first time. In the past I've just filed them, bitten them, or left them alone. She was very interested in my bright orange baby clippers. And I liked them a lot. They were worth buying!

2 comments:

  1. Is the handle to the fly swatter plastic or metal? A magnet on a string might get a metal one...

    Oh, and by the way, welcome to getting older! I hear this sort of thing will happen more and more often!! :)

    And Hazel is, as always, cuter and cuter! Her hair seems to be growing a lot.

    ReplyDelete
  2. #1 the cabinet situtation is what I am not a big fan of new mass produced construction.
    #2 Was it YOU that was biting off Hazel's nails?

    ReplyDelete